Employers must complete Form I-9 to document the verification of the employees' identity and employment authorization, regardless of whether or not the employee is a citizen of the United States.
The Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification contains three sections:
Section 1: Employee Information and Attestation
Section 2: Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification
Section 3: Re-verification and Rehires.
Here's how to complete Section 1 of Form I-9
- Go to Compliance >> Employee Documents >> Form I-9.
- Under Action, click the Request I-9 icon beside the name of the employee whose form you need.
- An email will be sent to the employee to complete Form I of Section 1.
Steps for an Employee to complete Section 1 of Form I-9
- From the Documents menu >> Start Form I-9
- Choose to either Download Form I-9, fill out Section I of the form and upload, or follow the steps below
- Choose Employee eligibility from four possible options:
If option (i) and (ii) of employees' eligibility is chosen, the flow moves to the Documents for Verification Step
If option (iii) is chosen, provide the alien registration number or USCIS number to move to the next step.
If option (iv) is chosen, provide alien registration number/USCIS number or, Form I-9 admission number or, Foreign passport number with the country of issuance and the expiration date to proceed.
The Documents for Verification need to be provided within 3 business days. Please provide either one document from the list "a" (identity and authorization) or one document each from lists "b" (identity) and "c" (authorization).
- Fill the details of the document(s) Verify Document title, Issuing authority and Document number, and for more accuracy, please upload the document(s).
- Click e- sign after verification.
- The payroll admin can access the completed Form I-9 of Section I for each employee in the "Compliance" menu which will be marked "Ready for review"
- By clicking the icon for Review the employer/authorized representative can review and verify Section I of Form I-9.